Today’s post is Part 2 of my series on mold-free travel. Both posts address staying in hotel rooms when you are environmentally and chemically sensitive.
If you haven’t read Part 1 yet, it may be helpful to start there first to lay some groundwork for this post. HERE is a link to Part 1. Part 1 deals with packing for your trip and prepping your immune system for travel.
This post is centered around arrival at your hotel and the exact steps I take to immediately and proactively treat my hotel room, or temporary accommodations for mold.
Let’s start from the beginning, though, because there are some actions to take before getting to your room.
Step 1: Checking In
The moment we arrive at our hotel, I start focusing on my body. I do this by walking into the lobby, taking a few deep breaths, and having a look around before I even approach the front desk. This step is critical for me, because my nose has become my most powerful sensor for mold and chemicals. My congestion and sinus pressure in the presence of mold are instant. The smell of mold is also very distinctive for me. For some, their sense of smell has been significantly reduced, due to sickness or chronic sinusitis, but that does not mean that this will not work for you. All it means is that your other senses and body responses have probably become heightened to mold and environmental toxins.